Sunday, February 17, 2013

USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO GET CONNECTED

I have past and present experience with social media, with frequent use of Facebook, YouTube, Instant Gram, and my personal blog. On average I utilize these selected forms of social media three to fours times a week and often more than once in a 24 hour period. I typically utilize Facebook and Instant Gram to provide friends and family with photos and descriptive updates of my life in addition to inspirational quotes. These forms of social media allow remain connected to friends and family. I frequently utilize YouTube when researching “how to” topics such as cooking, party decorating, and arts and crafts. You Tube is excellent in providing visual instruction/information on the topic for which you are researching. My personal blogs is one which I have recently become familiar as a result of my enrollment into the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University. As a requirement of my first course within the Early Childhood Studies program I was instructed to create a personal blogs and required complete weekly posts discussing information relevant to the topic of the week specific to the course for which I was enrolled.

The social media tools that I feel lead themselves to effective advocacy are Facebook, YouTube, and personal blogs. These tools are most effective as they enable advocates to effectively communicate their advocacy objective through the creation of interest groups, publication of public service announcements, and descriptive timelines of advocacy efforts. These specific social media tools enable advocates to reach a significant numbers of individuals within a relativity short period of time.

I would use Fcaebook, YouTube, and my personal blogs to educate and inspire others in my advocacy work by (1) gathering the support of individuals who share an interest in my advocacy objective (2) educating my supporters regarding my advocacy objective and projected advocacy efforts (3) encouraging my supporters to share the advocacy objective with their family, friends, and colleagues in an effort to increase its support and strength. I would execute these essential steps by creating an interest group on Facebook, publishing a PSA on YouTube, and providing weely posts of the progress of the advocacy objective on my personal blog.

Does anyone have additional suggestions of ways in which I can utilize social media to gather supporters for my advocacy objective?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tinisha,
    At first social media was intimidating to me,everyone putting all that they did on facebook for the world to see.Then when I did a class that we had to get in touch with an international orginizationfor children I was able to chat back and forth with them and read what was going on in that part of the world.This morning I recieved an email from one of the girls in a group I belong to on LINKEDIN asking for help on how to give her profession exposure.I now understand how important it is to use social media wisely and to benefit our cause.

    posted by Elizabeth Estrada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tinisha,
    I just want to say that I love the information we are able to share on our blogs. This is a informal time that we get to share new expereinces. As I read your blog I see how we share similar expereinces with social medias. There are so many ways that advocates and other organzations can share the informaiton, research, and insight of the issues that are representing. Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinisha,

    All the same reason you use social media correctly are reasons others use it improperly. I advise everyone that uses social medica to make sure they share thier information safely and filter comments regularly. Social media can be very informative and beneficial when used for the right reasons.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tinisha,

    I think that is is really great that you use social media to advocate. I have just started to use Twitter to do the same thing. I like to use social media to stay current in ECE, it actually surprised me how many organization are on twitter that update constantly on ECE related things.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tinisha,
    LinkedIn is another social media that I am not registered with and not familiar with how it operates. I know it enables professionals to help people understand their expertise by discussing the subject matter of their interest.

    ReplyDelete